Friday, March 20, 2009

The First Day of Spring

I have always been a fan of new beginnings. One of my most favorite holidays is New Year's Eve. While I don't always stay up late and wait for the ball to drop, I love the collective excitement and enthusiasm over something ending and something new beginning. But now I have another favorite "holiday" to add to my list - the first day of spring.

Before 2008 ended I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to debut some business ideas. I thought that January should be the debut month of these new business ideas since it's the first month of the year. Then a wise, wise person said to me (this is how I remember it, obviously), "Huh, that's interesting that you believe that. I would think you would want to start something new in the springtime when the world is coming out of its hibernation and ready to bloom."

This was one of the biggest revelations to me in the last few months. It was especially telling because I had be talking incessantly about the fact that wintertime has always been a time for hibernation (the actual word I'd been using) for me. Beginning in late October/early November I begin hunkering down, spending less time outside the house, going within myself, and reading. For years I thought there was something wrong with me but now I realize how natural and necessary it is.

Plus, with all that I read and thought about I realized how much I had slowed down and was really observant of things in a way I hadn't been in a long time. This felt good. One thing I became very observant of was the amount of television I was watching. It started to disturb me and was a major impetus to my 40 day without and this blog.

Once I had the "o.k." to wait until spring to debut new business ideas I let go and noticed that I began getting more clear about my ideas. My energy and excitement began increasing. So much so that my (and Austin's) spring started about a month ago. I debuted some of these ideas and tweaked my thinking about some things and now business is booming! I love it! It feels great! What really feels great is that I'm not forcing anything. It's all happening organically and naturally. Just as years begin anew every 12 months and seasons turn every 3 months, so too does every day, hour, minute, moment give us the opportunity to begin anew. How exciting!!!

No comments: