Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Visitor

My Aunt Flo came to visit me this week. Thursday to be exact, the day after the full moon as is typical. I always look forward to her visits since she reassures me of my health and vitality. However, I usually get a little irritable anticipating her arrival. My body tenses up, my chest becomes tender, and tears threaten to fall at any moment.

The first day of her visit is always dismal, as it was this time around. My irritability fades into all out reclusive social avoidance as my body becomes one giant knot that only warmth and handfuls of Motrin can subside. I noticed during this visit all I wanted to do was lay on the couch wrapped like a huge burrito in a down comforter and WATCH T-V! The desire got so strong I almost gave up on my 40 Days Without just 15 days into the process. Now that's saying something!

I was curious about how strong this desire was and I've been thinking about it ever since. I was initially annoyed and overwhelmed by my visitor and instead of telling her so all I wanted to do was "check out" and be distracted from the matter at hand. I knew she would be here for several days but reassured myself that after the first couple of days things would be fine.

And they are. The overwhelming desire to watch TV is gone. The movies I've rented aren't that appealing. Even my SXSW Film Festival Pass is only being used moderately.

That being said, South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival is this weekend and all next week. The music portion starts the middle of next week. There is a *ton* of stuff (mostly all free) to do. Just knowing that is overwhelming. I saw two movies last night - I love you, Man with Paul Rudd and Exterminators with Heather Graham. Tonight I'm planning on seeing Sissyboy and Alexander The Last. It is so cool seeing people in from all over the world. Austin is such a chill place and people are usually extremely welcoming of all the out-of-towners. It makes me proud to live here.

Plus it has me starting to think of movies, entertainment, and even television in a different way. More on this later...

No comments: