Thursday, March 19, 2009

Television, Smellivision

I - don't - miss - TV - AT - ALL! Go figure! I think the major reason for this at the moment is I've been consumed with balancing the SXSW Film Festival (entertainment galore!) and my growing private practice. I'm not complaining, believe me! I'm just very, very distracted!

They say behavior change takes three to four weeks of consistency. It has been three weeks, one day, and a dozen or so hours since I last watched television. It has been much easier than I thought it might be. With 23 days to go before Easter (the day I can begin watching television again) I'm beginning to wonder if I even want to start watching TV again.

The big question for me right now is: Will I be able to watch TV in moderation? As I think of that question today my heart starts to race a little and I feel short of breath. Fear starts to creep in. But what is it exactly that I'm afraid of?

I'm afraid of losing what I've gained in the last three weeks, one day, and a dozen or so hours. Clarity. Energy. Creativity. Business. Connection. Purpose. Not that I didn't have these when I was watching TV, but not to the extent I have them, or rather see them, now. I like this feeling. I don't want to lose it.

My mission now is letting go of the attachment (belief) that if I begin watching TV again 1) all self-control will fly out the window and I won't be able to moderate my television consumption; and 2) I will lose this amazingly freeing feeling I feel with my increased clarity, energy, creativity, business, connection, and purpose.

Mission accepted!

1 comment:

Ben said...

I like that you are watching less TV. We get to do more fun stuff together.