Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wrestling Raccoons

OK, so I wasn't actually wrestling it, but it felt that way...

This morning, while I was NOT watching television, I got an email from my friend Wendy who said she might be late to the 3:30pm meeting we had planned for this afternoon. Her reason was that she was at home waiting for Animal Control to come and remove a raccoon that was hiding, or rather stuck, behind her desk. Animal Control was already backed up at 9:30am and quoted her the 3:30pm time.

Being Superwoman I emailed her back and told her I'd swing by and help her get the raccoon out of the house (easy enough). At the time I didn't know anything about how to get a raccoon out of a house but figured there's no time like the present to learn. So I hopped online and found some websites with tips on the issue. I prepared my arsenal - a broom (weapon/swatter), dry dog food and chunks of apple (to lure it out - by throwing it and making a trail out the door, not handing it to the raccoon), and baby powder (to act as a boundary/barrier). It turns out raccoons don't like to get powder on their paws because they don't like the feeling.

So I cruise up to Wendy's house in my trusty SMART car, grab my arsenal, and make for the front door. Wendy stands there looking at me like I'm crazy for even offering to help her get the raccoon out of the house let alone showing up and having supplies. "Do you know what you're doing?" she asks. "Sure," I say thinking about the websites I just read.

We open all the doors closest to the desk, make a trail from the desk to the closest door with the dog food and apple, and then I move the desk slightly to give the raccoon space to get out from behind the desk. AND OFF IT RUNS - straight for the french doors furthest away that are still locked shut. Damn!

The raccoon, attracted to the light and outdoors, climbs up the french doors like Spiderman. It was pretty impressive. Realizing it's not going to get out that way it comes back down and trys the next closest light source which is a locked-shut kitchen window. Window shutters act as a ladder as it scurrys up the window. It perches at the top balancing between the shutter and the window sill. Shit! How are we going to get it down from there? I try pushing the shutter open further with the broom but raccoons have some amazing balance!

After staring at it for 10-15 minutes trying to be quiet so it calms down and gets up enough courage to leave it's perch we give up and go outside. "Maybe if it thinks no one is around it will make a move," I say. We wait outside another 5-10 minutes and head back inside to think of a new plan. Within minutes the Animal Contol guys show up with a net and cage. They grab the raccoon without a struggle and have Wendy fill out some paperwork. I'm not sure I would have been available for such an adventure had I been at home watching TV...

Moral of the story: Lock your doggie door before you go to bed at night!

BTW: Who knew raccoon had two "c's" in it?!?

No comments: